Note, my mention of class and race is not an error. Two people can be of the same race but the colour of one may be a notch paler or darker and that can be enough for prejudice.
I am gushing… let me get to the point.
My friend, Dr. Andrea Baldwin asked me to participate, as an editor and contributor in this mission call the Feminists Aliens website. Yes, immediately came to my lips, I trust Andrea’s judgment. But when I read her approach and we discussed the site’s direction and philosophy, my yes came with an exclamation.
Our next step is having a logo, but we want you to participate since believe the site is about you and for you.
Here are the rules:
Logo Design Competition for Feminist Aliens website and branding
Competition Rules and Guidelines
Feminist Aliens announces an international competition for our logo design.
Deadline for submission of entries to firstname.lastname@example.org is April 15th, 2013 Midnight GMT.
The winner will receive a prize of USD $100 and a full page feature on the Feminist Aliens website lasting 1 week. The winner will be notified by mail as well as announced on Feministaliens.com by May 15th 2013.
ABOUT Feminist Aliens
Feminist Aliens was created as a neutral space where all can share their experiences and have these experiences counted as relevant. It is a space which advocates for the dismantling of categories that create boundaries – racial, ethnic, class, national, and gendered. Boundaries which inevitably define some as better than others, rather than as just different. Our vision is to work toward building bridges through dialogue, scholarship, activism and networks. We are a diverse complement of persons from around the globe, many of whom originate or reside in the “global south” or the “developing world”. We recognise that we are often times excluded from the general narrative and so have developed this blog to tell our own stories and as a repository of information on developing regions. The blog is meant to engage those who may genuinely respect, support and embrace difference. Read more at
The logo must:
- correspond to the underlying idea of Feminist Aliens. For more background please visit feministaliens.com.
- be modern, simple, smart, recognizable and memorable.
- work both in colour and black and white, be adaptable to different uses (e.g. webpages, e-mails, hard copy, projected image, posters…)
Requirements & Eligibility
Submit files according to the following specifications. Entries not meeting these criteria will not be accepted. Only one submission per designer will be accepted. Send your entry to feministaliens.com.
1. A single file containing the logo on a white background (no transparency). The image submission should be in the form which includes but is not limited to .gif, .png PDF, or other format.
2. documentation (summary description or explanation of logo symbolism, designers intent)
3. short biographic information of designer
COPYRIGHT AND PATENTS
• By entering this competition, the designer assigns the rights to Feminist Aliens to use each submission for their website and brand. Unless a submission is selected as the winner, each designer retains all intellectual property considerations associated with their submission.
• Entries should not violate any intellectual property, including, but not limited to patents, trademarks, and copyrights. By admitting their entry the designer certifies that the entry is original, created solely by entrant, and no other person or entity holds rights to the entry and its components.
• In consideration for the prize received, the winner agrees to transfer all applicable intellectual property considerations to Feminist Aliens.
• The entrant is responsible for the contents which cannot include copyright protected material. The entrant must have the rights for all the texts and images used in the submitted work.
• The entry must not benefit any company, organization, political party or official interest group by the use, for instance, of logos, brands, or representatives or corporations, parties or organizations.
The panelist will select 5 logos as finalist from all of the submitted logos. These 5 logos will then be submitted to the community of users and bloggers for a vote. The logo with the most votes wins the competition.
The competition is being managed and organized by Feminist Aliens, see feministaliens.com